CARE supports state licensed foster parents or relative caretakers when they are caring for state placed children with difficult behavior problems.
If the caregiver calls CARE at 206-915-0459, we will call them back within 24 hours. We will offer to go to their home within 72 hours of their call. The primary goal of CARE is to prevent the placement from "failing"; to keep the child in your home and keep the you as a placement resource.We provide the following kinds of support for up to three months:
- Telephone consultation as requested by the caregiver
- A master's level CARE staff member can provide short term in-home counseling using behavior based approaches to help the caregiver gain skills and techniques for dealing with the child's behavior.
- We can help develop behavior management and supervision plans that meet the needs of the child. Friends of Youth programs specialize in sexually aggressive behaviors, physically aggressive behaviors, mental health problem behaviors and others.
- Access to CARE staff 24/7 for emergent consultation
- Referrals and information about resources and training to improve caregiver skills
- Funds to assist in paying for community resources; e.g. boys and girls club membership, day camp, etc.
- Funds to assist with child evaluations and assessments,
- Funds to assist in paying for training classes
- Assistance in advocating with the assigned social worker to get respite
- Funds for household items that will assist in maintaining a child in the home; e.g. bedding, special needs items, etc.
If you have questions about the CARE program or other foster care services at Friends of Youth, please call Paul Johnson, MSW, Program Manager, Treatment Foster Care, 425-228-5776 ext 114