Overnight Counselor - The Landing
The Overnight Counselor
provides supervision, guidance, and performs certain
guidance tasks in the shelter for up to fifteen homeless
young adults, implements
agency and shelter policies, and is responsible for the
safety and cleanliness of the
facility. The Overnight Counselor is an awake staff and
performs the tasks below.
A. Guidance and Supervision
1. Have overall responsibility for security of facility and
grounds during shift.
2. Responsible to know whereabouts of every young adult at
3. Respect confidentiality of the young adult and his/her
4. Provide a safe, caring and non-judgmental environment for
the young adults.
5. Respect differences in the young adult’s cultural, social,
sexual and religious
background. Enhance cultural pride.
6. Monitor laundry and showers.
7. Provide snacks and breakfast daily for young adults.
8. Report to Case Manager or Program Coordinator
extraordinary changes in young
adult’s behavior or situation.
9. Maintain prescribed medications in a secure area.
B. Placement Tasks
1. Check all young adults into The Landing during scheduled
2. Initiate orientation for any young adult who is admitted
during his/her shift.
C. Security Checks
1. Check at the beginning of his/her shift all doors that
needs to be secure.
1. Wash, dry, and fold used towels each night.
2. Collect dirty towels and blankets each morning and take to
3. Monitor and teach young adults to do their own laundry.
Required Skills and Qualifications
A. Education and Experience
1. A Bachelor’s Degree in the Social Sciences field is
2. At least 21 years of age and in generally good health.
3. Have no serious criminal record.
4. Must have Red Cross First Aid/CPR card and Food Handler’s
permit or obtain
them within 30 days of hiring.
5. Must pass TB screening.
6. Must successfully pass criminal history check (WAC
7. Education or experience in cultural competency.
B. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Ability to develop warm and open relationships with young
2. Ability to observe and discuss behavior problems and
3. Good role model.
4. Ability to work in a setting that can be highly stressful.
5. Must demonstrate sensitivity and responsiveness to
cultural differences and a
commitment to the value of cultural competency.
6. Ability to interact with volunteers and provide
7. Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of
Landing Program Manager
Open until filled.
Job Posting Date
Return to Employment Opportunities